Tri-State Tollway Bridge Rehabilitation
Baxter & Woodman was selected by the Illinois Tollway as a consultant for the $4B roadway widening and reconstruction project of the Central Tri-State Tollway (I-294). The 22-mile corridor of I-294 spans from Balmoral Avenue to 95th Street. The project provides congestion relief, reconstructs aging infrastructure to meet current and future travel demands, and addresses regional needs. The project began in 2018 and construction is expected to be completed by 2026.
Baxter & Woodman’s scope of work consisted of providing design engineering services for the rehabilitation of six crossroad bridges, slopewall modifications, noise abatement walls, construction of an access road, and the demolition of the Hinsdale Oasis. Multiple contracts were prepared, which included structural plans, maintenance of traffic, pavement markings, water main, barrier warrant analyses, and extensive utility coordination.
The following structures were included in this project:
- Bridge 177: 88th Ave/Cork Street: one crossroad structure
- Bridge 185: 5th Avenue Cutoff : one crossroad structure
- Bridge 187: Willow Springs Road: one crossroad structure
- Bridge 245: I-294/I-55 Ramp AB over Sewage Disposal Road
- Bridge 249-O: Hinsdale Oasis
- Bridge 251: 55th Street: one crossroad structure
- Bridge 253: 55th Street over Flagg Creek: one crossroad structure